Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Years Breakfast





So it's New Years morning, and this meal is what inspired this blog.  I woke up not really knowing what to make.  We have three backyard chickens and after a week and a half of most of us being gone we've got more eggs than you can shake a stick at.  Thus after taking care of the chickens this morning, I knew I was having eggs for breakfast.

Still even knowing I should have egg's I felt slightly uninspired.  I found the left over potatoes in the fridge and tossed half of them in a pan over medium heat.  I then diced half an onion, tossed that in with some garlic and immediately realized I should have done that process in a different order, onion, potatoes, garlic.  However, luckily the onions softened before the potatoes started to overcook.  I got the right combo of crispy potato and soft onion... the garlic floated around enough it didn't burn that much either.

I mixed up three eggs (this proved to be way too much) with some salt and pepper.  Once the onions and potatoes were ready I added the egg and started to stir the concoction together.  Just as the egg started to cook through I added a healthy handful of cheese.  I used a pot lid to hold some of the heat in and help melt the cheese into the egg, but then decided to just stir it all together so that the egg on the bottom didn't overcook.

Once it was done I decided I probably needed at least one more carb. in this meal so I went for a piece of rosemary toast, a little savory for morning toast but with some butter it did just fine. A glass of OJ and a cup of coffee and my day was off to a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment