Saturday, January 01, 2011

A New Year, A New Blog



I'm not big on new years resolutions.  Mainly because I'm the sort of person that will suddenly get stressed out that I'm not achieving what I set out to do.  That and I'm known for sometimes biting off more than I can chew (pun unintended but kept).

That said, I'm all about setting goals.  In my minds eye, falling short of a goal isn't a failure the way falling short of a resolution seems.  Semantics really, but regardless I'm more about goals than resolutions.

That said, what am I doing here?  I like to cook.  I like to photograph my cooking.  I like to talk about how I might do something differently or better.  I like to experiment with fancy things and simple things. I like to challenge myself and my culinary skills.  This past year I cooked less than I wanted to.  There is something about being single that is hard to cook for.  Mainly I think it's that when you are done you still have to do the dishes, but it's probably  more than that.  From a culinary perspective the only person there to judge the food is myself.  I don't have the ability to discuss the food, to get input from another palette.  Cooking for one is kind of a pain in the ass, in a way that frozen pizza is not, I'm just saying.....

On New Years Eve I posted some photos of my dinner to Facebook.  An old high school classmate of mine, in fact I think we went to school from elementary school through high school together, posted on one of the photos that I should start a food blog.  I laughed it off at first, I'm not that great of a cook (get ready to see some cooking fails), a blog seems like a lot of work, plus who's going to read this stuff?  But this morning, as I was cooking breakfast and noticing how pretty the scramble looked in the pan, I thought, why not start  blog?  If it fizzles and fails, so what?

And here I am, with a goal in mind.  My goal is going to try to cook and share at least one meal a week (god that sounds resolutions like).  Maybe I'll make the goal to cook and share meals as often as possible... (I like the sound of that already). I'm not expecting this to be a detailed account of how to perfectly cook anything.  I'm expecting this to be a place where I can share some recipes, share some photos, discuss cooking adventures, and maybe get some input on what to try next.  

It's a goal for the new year, we'll see what comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment